Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

women in cycling clubs – ladies rides anyone?

A few months back there was a Scottish Cycling hosted zoom meeting about female membership in cycling clubs, and how clubs could increase their female membership.
There were lots of representatives from cycling clubs from all over Scotland (we had 5 ICC members who were there!) and really there were two common themes.
The first was that if (female) club members run Breeze rides (women’s only beginners rides), some of the participants fall in love with cycling and gradually progress to club membership.
The other was that women only rides had been very helpful in encouraging women who might otherwise have been reluctant to try out club rides, and that many women simply enjoy riding in the company of other women sometimes.

The reason for the post is to ask what people think. We currently have 29 women out of 100 members. Would there be any appetite for ladies only rides? Would anyone be interested in leading them? Do you know anyone who isn’t currently in the club who might be interested in coming along?
I’m very aware it seems a bit discrimatory as there might be plenty of men out there nervous about joining a club, but seems to have been very successful in other areas so just asking the question.

I’d definitely be interested in this!

I think this is very much a personal choice so i hope you won’t mind my sharing a personal but honest opinion here.  For myself I’ve never seen the appeal of women only rides and i don’t like that it discriminates against men who, as you say, often might feel nervous about coming along on a ride themselves. I’ve always found my male cycling buddies to be hugely accommodating, encouraging and supportive plus great company.  I’m much more in favour of looking at ways to be as inclusive as possible, encouraging everyone to come along and promoting ICC as a club which welcomes all new comers equally.  (Although i understand the reason behind it, i can’t help wondering, would we consider offering men only rides?  I don’t think so. So the idea of gender specific rides doesn’t feel right to me).

For me personally, it’s not something I would be looking for as I very much enjoy what the club already offers.
That said, I first became inquisitive about joining a cycling club having entered a ladies cycling event in Strathmore and speaking to people on the ride who were already members of cycling clubs. I shortly afterwards came along to the ICC development rides and have remained with the club since.

I think the club has been very successful in being inclusive and agree there could be many men who feel equally as daunted by the idea of joining/riding in a club.

I have no strong feelings either way, but for me I’ll carry riding in the mixed groups as that’s what I enjoy.

PenStuart has reacted to this post.
PenStuart

Can agree with the above points – I’ve never been made to feel unwelcome by men, quite the opposite. However, I’ve been lucky enough to have grown up around plenty female cyclists and seen it as a more inclusive sport. Think a lot of cycling racing and kit is advertised only with men, especially when you look at social media. As above I think it’s more of a publicity issue than an actual inclusivity issue. Female specific rides would appeal to some people however I think the club does a good job on the website at saying it’s inclusive and has many female members. I’d happily be involved in some sort of publicity regarding women in the club, or female only rides if that’s the decision made.

PenStuart has reacted to this post.
PenStuart

I tend to agree with you all – I feel very supported in the club by both the men and the women. However, I did join along with Steve and I’m conscious it might have been a lot harder had I joined by myself.  I also prefer mixed groups and feel a bit uncomfortable about single sex groups (although when I said this at the zoom meeting I felt like I was expressing an outrageous sentiment!)

I suppose another question is – are we currently happy with the M/F ratio in the club (7 in 10 men) If we are – perhaps there’s no need to do anything at all.