Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs – You are here:ForumGeneral: General ChatWaxed chains
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Waxed chains

Does anyone wax their chain or tried it in the past?

I use drip on wax on my road bike. Immersion seems like a lot of faff.

I only wax my chains now. The marginal gains don’t benefit me much but the chain is less messy and lasts longer.  There is a little bit more initial set up but after that its quite easy.  I got a little hot pot for about £15, and as there is less wear I tend to reuse my quick links a few times.  In between times if I don’t want to the chain off I give the chain a wipe and use drip on wax.

Kord and Jonathan Lindsay have reacted to this post.
KordJonathan Lindsay

Same here, easier maintenance and better value for money in the long run. I haven’t tried to see what happens when taking a waxed chain out in the rain, or going for a wade through a river, though, which is why I still use oil for gravel/MTB.

Still undecided but also still tempted. Is it a hassle having to rewax and how often are you having to do it?

It depends on how wet the ride is. If its really wet it might last 2 long rides.  My current chain is on 1000km without a full rewax and its pretty good.  I have topped it up with a drip on twice though.  I bought two chains so I can keep keep one waxed ready to go.  If you melt the wax while you are cleaning the bike by the time you are done you can put the chain in and turn off the heat.  Half an hour later take it out and hang it up. Once its cold flex the chain to get rid of excess wax and you are good to go.

Kord has reacted to this post.
Kord

Thanks @robert-gs I am going to give it a go! Being the Highlands it will next week before everything arrives.

Robert GS has reacted to this post.
Robert GS

@robert-gs as per advise bought two chains and waxed them in £15 beauty pot.

Chain is quiet loud now. Tick tick sound. Other than the noise. Happy

From my experience and understanding, waxed chains can be a bit louder than oiled. Mine runs pretty quiet, though. I wipe down, and top up as needed.

Anyway, I believe a noisy waxed chain can be caused by not removing the chain at the right wax temperature, so not enough has stuck on; I’ve also heard it can improve as the chain runs in and the wax beds better into the rollers. Topping up with drip-on may help as well, one drop per roller.

I’m sticking with drip-on for the time being as I don’t particularly fancy shelling out on something like the fancy Silca waxing system at the moment.

£15 for a “beauty” wax pot on eBay. 😉

I did let the 2nd chain cool down until just forming a skin before removing. Maybe that one will be quieter?  Or maybe it will run in.