Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Saturday 6th July – Club Road Away Day

Page 1 of 3Next

Saturday’s club road ride is an Away Day. There are 2 routes on offer. Both routes start from Conon Bridge and include the ferry crossing from Cromarty to Nigg.

There is a bit more info than for the usual Saturday rides, so please read all the details below before signing up.

The full route is around 115km / 71 miles and follows an anti-clockwise loop, starting in Conon Bridge, through Cromarty, Tain and Dingwall and includes the climb up Struie Hill. The main cafe stop is at Platform 1864 in Tain. There is also the possibility of a coffee and/or cake at Slaughterhouse Coffee in Cromarty if there is a wait for the ferry, and at the Highland Farm Cafe towards the end of the route.

The shorter route is around 84km / 52 miles and also follows an anti-clockwise loop, through Cromarty, Invergordon and Dingwall. The cafe stop is at Cafe Tomich, just as the route crosses the A9. Optional coffee and snack stops as for the longer route.

For the longer route can folk pre-select groups as usual, either 1, 2 or 3, based on an average speed. Please note that speeds are a rough guide and may indeed be slower or faster depending on conditions. We will endeavour to accommodate your group selection, dependent on rider numbers and availability of ride leaders. For the safety of all riders we operate a no-drop policy on Saturday rides.

Group 1 – 16-18mph / 26kph-29kph
Group 2 – 14-16mph / 22kph-26kph
Group 3 – 13-15mph / 21kph-24kph

For the shorter route the group will likely run at a pace to suit everyone.

The forecast for Saturday is currently quite mixed. There is a chance that things may turn out cool but dry. However, if the opposite happens and the weather is not looking good, then a contingency is that we all follow the shorter route. A decision on that will be taken by midday Friday so that I can let the cafe in Tain know. Please check the forecast closer to the time and dress accordingly. Please also check the forum for updates on Friday and before attending in case of any changes due to the weather.

Details of the routes can be found below, please download to your bike computer if you have one

Short Route

Long Route

Can I ask that all those wishing to join the longer ride post before 11.30am on Friday so that I can let the cafe know how many folk are coming. I’ll still keep the ride open until 7pm on Friday evening as usual, but if you haven’t signed up by 11.30am then I can’t guarantee that there will definitely be space at the cafe and you may need to get a snack at one of the other places in Tain if Platform 1864 is too busy.

The route for this Saturday starts and finishes in Conon Bridge, at the car park on the High Street, opposite where Riverbank Road meets the High street, almost opposite Conon Bridge chip shop. Please be there at 08:45 for a 09:00 departure sharp.

Riders should ensure their bikes are mechanically sound before attending a club ride and that the following minimum spares / tools are carried.

2x inner tubes
2x Co2 canisters (& dispenser) or appropriate hand pump
adhesive patches
Multi tool
Quick link (appropriate for your chain speed)
Tyre levers
Rear Light

Please also note that we ask people to carry ICE (In Case of Emergency) details with them on our rides. Please carry on ICE card or similar in your seatbag, or back pocket if you ride without one, detailing the name and phone number we should contact if you are involved in an accident.

Hope to see you Saturday,

Steve

I’d like to do the longer route please. Group 2/3 if possible. Thank you.

SteveB has reacted to this post.
SteveB

Whichever route is most weather-appropriate!

SteveB

Thanks Steve. Long route please. Group 2.

SteveB

Long, group 2, thanks 😊

SteveB

Would love to join, group 1 please (if there is none, happy to join group 2).
Marieke wants to join the shorter route in whichever group is available.

See you Saturday

SteveB

Thanks Steve

Shorter route please at group 2/3 as I need to be back in Inverness for 4.30 pm.

Kirsteen

SteveB

Long route please, group 2.

SteveB

Long route please.

SteveB

Thanks Steve,

Count me in, long route group 2 please.

Gary